Last Updated on November 15, 2022 by Tumto Siram
Do you feel like you're stuck when it comes to writing your blog posts? You're not alone. A lot of people struggle with putting their thoughts into writing in a way that engages readers and makes them want to stick around for more. But don't worry, I'm here to help.
In this blog post, I'll share with you my best tips and tricks on how to write a great blog post for taking your content from blah to awesome. So whether you're just starting or you've been blogging for years, read on for some helpful advice!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means, I will earn a commission (without any additional cost to you) if you click and make a purchase through those links. And if you do make a purchase, thanks for the support!
We will go step by step on how you can write a great blog post that will engage your readers and maybe make them come back for more.
Important Steps before writing a blog.
Before you start writing a blog post, there are three steps you should be considering implementing:
Let's go over each of these steps in more detail:
1. Doing your research
The first step to writing a great blog post is doing your research. You need to make sure you have a clear understanding of the topic you're going to be writing about. This means reading up on it, asking questions, and talking to experts if necessary.
Once you feel like you have a good grasp on the subject, you can move on to the next step.
2. Finding a topic and doing keyword research
The second step is finding a topic for your blog post and doing some keyword research. There are a few ways to go about this. You can either come up with a list of potential topics and then do some research to see which one would be the best to write about. Or, you can start by doing some general research on your topic and then narrow it down to a specific angle or focus.
If you're stuck for blog topic ideas, there are plenty of resources out there to help you find inspiration. One great way to find ideas is to check out curation sites like Scoopit and Medium, which feature articles from a range of sources on a variety of topics.
You can also browse forums and websites like Quora and Reddit, where people discuss their interests and ask questions about the things they're passionate about. And of course, don't forget about Google!
A simple search for ‘blog topic ideas' will turn up a wealth of articles and blog posts exploring different angles on the subject. So if you're feeling stuck, take a look around online – there's sure to be something out there to spark your imagination. Here are some additional tools that you can use to find new topics:
- SparkToro: SparkToro provides audience behaviour through extensive research, which can help find where your target audience visits ultimately helping you find new content ideas from your competitors.
- Google trends: Google trends is a great way to see what people are searching for and what's popular right now.
- Also Asked: Also Asked helps in finding questions for any kind of query, which can be a great tool for finding in-depth blog ideas.
- AnswerThePublic: AnswerThePublic collects questions that people are asking about various topics around the web that can be used to create content around the subject.
Once you have a topic in mind, it's time to do some keyword research. This will help you determine what people are searching for when they're looking for information on your topic. There are a few different tools you can use for this, Here's a quick rundown of some of the most popular keyword and SEO tools:
- Ahrefs: Ahrefs is a paid keyword tool that offers a 7-day trial. It allows you to see the search volume, CPC, and keyword difficulty for any keyword.
- Google AdWords Keyword Planner: The Keyword Planner is a free tool from Google. It allows.
- Semrush: Semrush is a paid keyword tool that also has a free plan with some limited features. It provides data on search volume, CPC, and keyword difficulty.
- SEO Buddy: SEO buddy is a paid keyword tool with a 7-day trial. It also provides data on search volume, CPC, and keyword difficulty.
After you've chosen a few keywords to target, it's time to move on to the next step: outlining your blog post.
3. Outlining your post (How to write a blog outline?)
The third and final step in the process is outlining your blog post. This is where you'll take all of the information you've gathered from your research and start putting it into a specific structure. I like to think of it as creating an outline for a school paper. You start with the main heading and then fill in the subheadings and supporting details below.
Here is an example of a blog outline I just made for a blog post titled “How to make a resume?”:
- Start by brainstorming what you want to include on your resume.
- Choose a format that will showcase your strengths and experiences in the best way possible.
- Make sure your resume is easy to read and looks professional.
- Proofread it for mistakes, and ask someone else to do the same.
- Tailor it to each job application, emphasizing the skills and experience that are most relevant to the position you're applying for.
- Keep it updated as you gain new skills or experiences.
Keep in mind that your outline doesn't have to be perfect, and it might even change as you're writing your post. But having a general idea of what you want to include will make the actual writing process much easier.
Post You Might Like:
- How to start a blog website the right way.
- How to create a WordPress website from scratch.
- Must have pages for a website.
- Best free blogging platforms.
- How to use the Fiverr affiliate links and promotional tools.
- Best cheap hosting plan providers.
- The best blog formatting tips.
How to write a blog post: Step by step guide.
Now that you have found your blog topic and done your keyword research, the next step would be to write the blog itself.
- Start with a catchy headline.
- Write an engaging introduction.
- Use short paragraphs and simple language.
- Use images, infographics, and videos.
- Optimize your blog post for SEO.
- Proofread and edit your blog post.
- Publish your blog post and share it with your audience!
- Follow up with comments and social media engagement.
- Improve your blog post over time.
1. Start with a catchy headline
A blog post headline should be eye-catching and accurately reflect the content of the post. It's important to remember that the headline is often the first thing a reader will see, so it should be able to stand on its own. There are a few simple tricks that can help make a blog post headline more effective.
First, try to use active language that creates a sense of urgency. Second, make sure the headline is relevant to the blog post topic. Finally, consider using a blog post headline generator tool like SEOPressor to get ideas.
There are also several headline analyzers available online that can help evaluate the effectiveness of a particular headline. By following these tips, you can ensure that your blog post headlines are both catchy and informative.
2. Write an engaging introduction
It can be tough to decide what to write about on your blog. You want your content to be engaging, but you also don't want to spend hours brainstorming ideas. Here are a few tips to help you generate blog post ideas that will keep your readers coming back for more:
- Keep a list of potential topics handy. Whenever you think of something that would make a good blog post, jot it down. This way, when you're feeling uninspired, you can always refer back to your list and jump-start the brainstorming process.
- If you're struggling to come up with ideas, use a blog post content generator like Frase, Outranking or Writesonic. These tools can help you not only in generating content ideas but also in writing a full blog post.
3. Use short paragraphs and simple language
Although blog posts are typically shorter and simpler than other types of writing, there is still an art to crafting a successful one. A well-written blog post has a clear purpose, an engaging opening, and a cohesive structure. It also uses language that is easy to understand and follows a logical flow.
This can be achieved by using short paragraphs and simple sentence construction. In addition, using an active voice and concrete examples can help to make your blog post more readable and relatable.
By following these tips, you can write a blog post that is both informative and enjoyable to read.
4. Use images, infographics, and videos
Images, infographics, and videos are essential components of any blog post. Not only do they add visual interest, but they can also help to communicate complex information more effectively. When used strategically, images, infographics, and videos can also help to improve your blog's search engine ranking.
Alt tags, which are short descriptions of an image's contents, help to tell search engines what an image is about. As a result, be sure to include relevant keywords in your alt tags to maximize your blog's SEO.
When it comes to videos, embedding them from YouTube or Vimeo is generally the best practice as doing so can help to improve your page's load time. Images, infographics, and videos are essential tools for any blog post.
5. Optimize your blog post for SEO
If you want your blog post to rank high in search engine results, then you need to optimize it for SEO. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Use relevant keywords throughout your blog post, including in the title, headings, and subheadings.
- Research which keywords are most likely to be searched for by your target audience and make sure to use them.
- In addition to using keywords, also make sure to use other SEO best practices such as creating keyword-rich titles and meta descriptions.
- Link to other relevant blog posts or articles on your website to help improve your blog post's SEO.
- Write long blog posts with an average of 1000 words and above.
Checklist I use before publishing a blog:
- Link to other sites relevant to your topic using do-follow links using mention or about tag.
- Link internally to your other posts related to your topic.
- Don't forget to add a featured image.
- Check if the images used within the post have proper alt tags.
- Add the post to a category if you have set up a hierarchy in categories and also add relevant tags to your post.
- Use the Anchor link whenever necessary.
- Add an affiliate disclosure at a visible area somewhere in the post if you're promoting affiliate products. I like to add it after the introduction.
- Check out if you have enabled automated post sharing to your social media channels, there might be some posts you don't want to share instantly or the opposite.
- Add a table of content at the beginning of the post. It's not necessary but this can help your readers to navigate the topic easily.
You can even go for a paid SEO plugin called RankMath that helps you with maintaining the on-page SEO for your blog posts.
6. Proofread and edit your blog post
Any blog, no matter how well written, is likely to have a few errors. That's why it's important to proofread and edit your blog before you publish it. This can be a tedious process, but it's worth taking the time to do it right. Here are a few tips for proofreading and editing your blog:
- Read your blog aloud. This will help you catch errors that you might not otherwise notice.
- Use spell-check. This can help you catch typos and other simple errors.
- Use a grammar checker. This can help you catch more complex errors.
- Have someone else read your blog. This can help spot errors that you might have missed.
The other way around can be hiring a freelance proofreader if you have a few bucks to spare. Fiverr can be a great place to find one.
7. Publish your blog post and share it with your audience!
Now that you have created your masterpiece, it's time to share it with the world! There are many ways to do this:
- Share your blog post on social media. This is a great way to get your post in front of more people.
- Submit your blog post to relevant online communities or forums. This can help to generate interest and traffic for your blog.
- Email your blog post to your subscribers. This can help to keep them engaged with your content.
8. Follow up with comments and social media engagement
Follow up with the comments and social media engagement. This can help to build a relationship with your readers and keep them coming back for more.
9. Improve your blog post over time
Updating your blog regularly, maybe once in three months to six months, with the latest ingredients and trends can help to improve it over time. This will also show that you're keeping up with the latest trends in your industry and that you're committed to providing quality content for your readers.
It can be a little daunting to think about all of the components that go into creating an excellent blog post, but if you take it one step at a time and follow the guidelines in this manual, you’ll be well on your way.
Let me know in the comments if there are any other tips you use while writing your blog posts – I’d love to hear them! And finally, don’t forget to share this article with your friends and followers – they may find it helpful too.
Thanks for reading and I hope these tips help you in writing great blog posts!