Blogging is one of the most essential parts of a content marketing strategy for any business, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s a great way to gain organic traffic to your website and make money in the process.
However, as exciting as the prospect of starting a blog may be, the actual process of writing a blog post can be a daunting task.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I will receive a commission if you purchase through these links (without any additional cost to you), which helps us maintain this website.
But Chat GPT has made the process of writing a blog post not just easier but also more fun. Its AI-powered language model can assist you in generating high-quality blog posts within no time. But if not done the right way it might turn out disastrous for your website.
But you don’t have to worry, in this post, I will show you a step-by-step process on how you can use ChatGPT to write valuable, SEO-optimized and engaging blog posts.
Whether you’re a seasoned blogger or a newbie, this post will show you how to harness the power of AI to take your blog writing to the next level. I’ll also give you the exact prompts that I use to churn out the best text output from Chat GPT.
So, let’s get started.
How to write blog posts using Chat GPT step-by-step guide
Using ChatGPT for blog writing is a straightforward process that involves the following steps:
Step 1: Create an account with Chat GPT
If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll have to create one with Chat GPT to start using it. It takes a few clicks to register your account. To get started:
- Head over to the Chat GPT section of Open AI’s website. Here’s the link.
- Click “Try Chat GPT”.
- Then Create an account with open AI using your email, Google or Microsoft account.
And after that, your account will be created. By the way, if you just landed in this post accidentally and want to know more about the use cases of Chat GPT you can check out one of my previous articles here.
Now, let’s move on to step two.
Step 2: Brainstorm topic ideas and keywords
Now that you have your account created it’s time we start working on our blog post. I’ve added this step in case you don’t have any keywords researched for your blog post.
Before generating the content we’ll start by researching topic ideas and keywords. Just know that not all topics and keywords generated by Chat GPT will be actually valuable for us.
This step is just to help us come up with the best possible keywords that might drive traffic to our site.
We’ll use the prompt: Brainstorm a list of 20 topic and keyword ideas for my blog niche [Niche] with target audience [The audience].
For the sake of this guide, I’ll choose the niche “Portable Camping Grills” targeting “new and occasional trekkers” as the target audience.
Now that we have the topic ideas all you have to do is validate your keywords and topic ideas using tools like Ahrefs or SEO Buddy so that you can know if the topic you are going to write about has any search volume or not and if it’s rankable in Google’s SEPR.
Now, for the sake of this guide, I’ll go with the number three on the list. “How to Choose the Right Size Portable Camping Grill for Your Needs”.
Step 3: Create Titles and Meta description
Next, we’ll generate titles and meta descriptions for our blog post. You can choose the previous titles that came up with the topic idea itself or let Chat GPT brainstorm other titles that might be better for generating clicks.
The prompt we’ll use: Generate a list of 5 engaging titles and 5 meta descriptions for the blog post titled [Topic] with [Main Keyword] as the targeted keyword.
I didn’t find the best title from the output so I’ll be using the title generated while brainstorming the topic and keywords in Step 2.
Step 4: Brainstorm Semantic keywords and blog outline
Semantic keywords are really important as it gives the web crawlers an easy way to understand what our blog topic is about plus you also get the chance to rank for those keywords often.
In this step, we’ll generate a list of semantic keywords and the outline for our blog.
Generating semantic keywords with Chat GPT
Here’s the prompt: Now brainstorm and generate a complete list of semantic keywords for the blog post topic [Blog Title]. with [Main Keyword].
As we can see Chat GPT has come up with a list of possible semantic keywords for our blog. We can use these keywords later while editing our blog post and add them naturally.
Generating blog outline with Chat GPT
Now let’s generate the outline for our blog.
The prompt I’ll use: Now write a detailed SEO-optimized outline for the blog topic [Blog Topic/Title] Add the list of semantic keywords listed above naturally whenever necessary and possible.
Step 5: Generate the blog post
Next, we’ll ask Chat GPT to generate the complete blog post. That’s what I usually do because I just use the content generated by Chat GPT as a first draft and edit it by adding more contexts and examples if necessary.
The other thing is the blog content generated by Chat GPT usually are shorter and simple with no in-depth explanation. I think it’s mostly because of its token limit per request.
Here’s the prompt I use: Now Write a detailed blog post using the outline above, and use all the semantic keywords listed above naturally throughout the blog post whenever possible and necessary.
It’s worth mentioning that, Chat GPT, most of the time will stop in the middle itself without completing the article. So, you can just simply ask it to continue and finish the article. Like the example below.
Step 6: Optimize the blog post for readability and quality
I added this step in case you might need it to generate your blog post completely with Chat GPT with more contexts and examples.
It’s possible by using three more small steps with different prompts. I’ll just leave the steps with the prompt as I’ll leave the examples out.
1. Create an intro
So the first thing you’ll have to do is generate the intro. The prompt you can use: “Write a captivating introduction for the above or [topic] with a hook that generates interest and curiosity”.
2. Optimize the body
Next, you’ll have to optimize the body which is the main content of the blog post itself. Just add this prompt: “Rewrite these texts for better readability using simple words. Don’t change the format. Add examples, How-to Guides and references whenever necessary: [The Section]“.
Use the sections generated from the blog post, not the outline and also remember to add only one section of the blog post at a time for more in-depth explanation and examples.
You can see in the output above, Chat GPT has generated a more detailed version of the first paragraph that I used for the example.
Generate a conclusion with CTA
After you’ve generated the whole body, next you can generate a different conclusion for the blog post or use the one generated in Step 5.
Prompt you can use: “Write a conclusion for the blog [Topic] Add a captivating CTA inviting my the blog visitor to [What you would want your visitor to do]“.
Step 7: Create an FAQ section
It’s not necessary to generate an FAQ section for every blog you publish, but if you want you can also generate an FAQ section using Chat GPT.
Use this prompt: Now create an FAQ section for the blog post [Topic] with possible questions my readers might have in their minds and add these questions too [Questions if you want to add]
Step 8: Generate key takeaway
Key takeaways are a great way to give a quick overview of your blog content to your visitors. It’s not necessary but if you want you can add them at the beginning of the blog post.
I add them to my blog posts occasionally if I think that they will make sense with the topic I’m covering.
Here’s the prompt: Now generate key takeaways with bulleted points for the blog post [Topic] from the above blog post.
You can choose the points you want to add in the Key Takeaway section or just add all the points generated by Chat GPT.
Step 9: Proofread and Edit
The thing about Chat GPT is, although it’s awesome, it does make mistakes sometimes and generates things that are not right sometimes. So it’s important you proofread the content generated.
Here are a few things to look out for:
- Check if the content generated is correct factually.
- Correct if there are any grammatical mistakes.
- Add more semantic keywords naturally if you have any and try to add the ones generated by Chat GPT.
Finally, make any necessary adjustments. And, once you are satisfied with the content, you can publish it on your blog.
Usual Chat GPT prompts for blogging
It might get frustrating for you to go through the blog post again looking for the prompts in each section. So I added the list of all the prompts I shared below.
- Brainstorm a list of 20 topic and keyword ideas for my blog niche [Niche] with target audience [The audience].
- Generate a list of 5 engaging titles and 5 meta descriptions for the blog post titled [Title/Topic] with [Keyword] as the targeted keyword
- Brainstorm and generate a complete list of semantic keywords for the blog post topic [Blog Title]. with [Main Keyword].
- Write a detailed SEO-optimized outline for the blog topic [Blog Topic/Title] Add the list of semantic keywords listed above naturally whenever necessary and possible.
- Write a detailed blog post using the outline above, and use all the semantic keywords listed above naturally throughout the blog post whenever possible and necessary.
- Write a captivating introduction for the above or [Topic] with a hook that generates interest and curiosity
- Rewrite these texts for better readability using simple words. Don’t change the format. Add examples, How-to Guides and references whenever necessary: [The outline]
- Write a conclusion for the blog [Topic] Add a captivating CTA inviting my the blog visitor to [What you would want your visitor to do]
- Now generate key takeaways with bulleted points for the blog post [Topic/Title] from the above blog post.
Tips for using ChatGPT effectively for content writing
Chat GPT can do awesome things and you can use it for different purposes. I use Chat GPT mostly for my blogging business which is not just limited to writing blog posts.
Plus the steps and prompts I’ve shared in this blog post are not the ultimate way to generate a blog post using Chat GPT and if you’re creative you can try different things by twisting the prompts and ideas I’ve provided.
And to get you a bit of a push here are some additional tips for using ChatGPT effectively for blog writing:
- Provide clear input: To get the best results, ensure that your input is clear and specific.
- Edit the output: While ChatGPT can generate high-quality content, it is important to edit the output to make it more engaging and relevant to your audience.
- Use the right tone: The tone of your blog post is important, as it sets the mood for your readers. ChatGPT can help you choose the right tone for your content, but it is up to you to ensure that the tone is appropriate for your audience.
- Proofread your work: Always proofread your work before publishing to ensure that it is error-free and flows well.
- Optimize the output: To get the best results, optimize the output from ChatGPT by using relevant keywords, subheadings, and formatting.
- Use the same chat window: Use the same chat window for a single project or a blog post.
In conclusion, ChatGPT is a powerful tool that can revolutionize your blog writing experience. By understanding the basics of blog writing and harnessing the capabilities of ChatGPT, you can create exceptional blog posts that captivate your audience.
The advantages of utilizing ChatGPT for blog writing are endless, and by following the tips and tricks outlined in this article, you can produce engaging and unique content in a matter of minutes.
So, go ahead and give ChatGPT a try and see how it can transform your blog writing experience!
And if you’re looking to stay up-to-date with the latest AI, business, and life trends, sign up for my newsletter “Tumto’s Weekly Drip”.